To publish, not to publish, and where to publish a research paper are conversations authors have early on for a many reasons.
Blockchain in Healthcare Today (BHTY), is a new peer-review journal available for authors to add to their list of “where” to publish. There are a few items to note when you consider BHTY:
- Editorial Mission of Publication: BHTY endeavors to share, educate and build consensus for blockchain technology implementation, deployments, and outcomes specifically within the healthcare sector. This includes positive and negative results. One of our journal pillars is to honor success and failure in research. We believe it is the duty of scholarly publications to publish both. Failure takes courage to share, and we hold this in esteem. For example, our sister publication, Telehealth and Medicine Today, published an article about a $46M failed telehealth startup. The article was bestowed the Publisher’s Award for Best Article of 2016. It is important to understand the whys and hows of failures as well as successes, and pay it forward. In this way, we avoid errors, loss of valuable time, and move the needle of the market more rapidly. Kudos Rajeev Mudumba!
- Turn-around Time: BHTY is committed to providing fast turnaround for peer review. Our aim is 5 to 7 business days. Publication occurs immediately thereafter upon fulfillment of requirements.
- Caliber of Board Members and Peer Reviewers: The team is a cross section of world-renowned experts bringing depth and breadth of knowledge and curiosity to a collegiate and egalitarian platform. Join the network and help build the community.
- Scholarly Practices: We adhere to ICMJE, COPE, and WAME guidelines and practices. BHTY is published on the PKP Open Journal Systems (OJS), platform. We have partnered with TrendMD. We use LOCKSS preservation, the PKP|PS Indexing service, and will apply to CrossRef and await our Portico plugin. Our end is covered.
- Portfolio: We are a far-reaching new era portfolio. Blockchain is the new Renaissance for Healthcare. We are committed to sharing knowledge, provoking stimulating thoughts and conversations to build consensus, a clearer path forward in areas that pioneer innovation and change legacy systems, and assist in achieving better health, quality of care, and a more efficient healthcare system. If you share these values, throw your support behind us. It takes a village, and everyone brings something to the table. Opportunities present once—this one is yours to seize now…!
- Indexing: As a new journal, we don’t have an Impact Factor. Without your submissions, we don’t obtain an Impact Factor. Conundrum, yes? The quicker we publish 6 to 24 research articles, the quicker we get indexed, and accepted to an endless array of organizations and societies, which will benefit authors. As soon as our applications are accepted to DOAJ, MEDLINE, PubMed, etc. indexing your article will occur retroactively. Considering it takes months to publish a paper in some journals—in that time, BHTY can have an Index Factor—but it doesn’t happen without your manuscript submission!
BHTY has been conceived as a serious scholarly publication to benefit the healthcare sector and the initiatives, pilots, deployments, and outcomes many of you are focused on. Its scope, quality, originality of content sought, and significance of this content, will qualify BHTY for inclusion in scholarly databases. In the meantime, we seek inclusion on content aggregators and online directories such as Google Scholar. We welcome your suggestions, and look forward to working together to achieve the goals both author and publisher need to meet
We thank you.
Tory Cenaj, Founder and Publisher, Blockchain in Healthcare Today
Douglas Shinsato, Editor-in-Chief, Technology and Innovation
Gil Alterovitz, PhD, Faculty, Harvard Medical School/Boston Children's Hospital, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Mate Beštek, BSc, PhD, National Institute of Public Health, Center for Healthcare Informatics, Republic of Slovenia; Faculty, Computer and Information Dept., University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Florence D. Hudson, Senior Vice President and Chief Innovation Officer, Internet2
George Kolostoumpis, BSc, PhD, External Scientific Expert, ECDC; Technical Expert, EUREKA
Susan R. Ramonat, CEO , Spiritus Partners
Sean T. Manion, PhD, Senior Researcher, American College of Military Public Health; Former Research Activities Chief, Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center