General Information for Authors
- Editorial Focus
- Editorial Categories
- Publishing Schedule
- Peer Review Turn-around
- Production Time
- Authorship and related information
- Criterion for publication
- Fees and Publishing Model
- Waiver policy
- Refund policy
- Competing interests
- Open access policy
- Embargo policy
With over 20,000 downloads and readership in 65 countries worldwide, Blockchain in Healthcare Today (BHTY) is the preeminent open-access international peer-review journal for strategic thought leaders, new-era practitioners, and future society stakeholders engaged in blockchain technology and intersecting innovations in healthcare. The online only journal is published on a continuous basis in order to accelerate sharing of rigorously vetted theoretical and experiential knowledge required for a growth sector. Authors are invited to submit original manuscripts, use cases, unpublished research, and defensible opinions on a broad spectrum of topics ranging from theory to science, technologies and methodologies, pilots and scalable deployments, operations and economics, user experience, Return-on-Adoption, legal and regulatory, transformation and disruption, and ecosystem and societal issues relevant to blockchain and converging technologies in healthcare. A world-class peer-review board endeavors to offer rapid, peer-review (14 days), and includes constructive commentary to strengthen work.
BHTY Editorial Focus:
- NEW BUSINESS MODELS: Future Society, future economy, new business models, incentive models, Tokenomics, cashless economy, Internet of value, ecosystem structure and dynamics, scalability, sustainability
- BLOCKCHAIN TRIAD: the interplay of disintermediated business models, decentralized operations they require, and technology strategy to support both
- USE CASES: use case discovery frameworks, use case roadmaps, key learnings from successful and unsuccessful experiences
- NEW MODELS OF TRUST: Privacy, ethics, confidentiality, governance, access control, provenance, consensus
- THEORY: game theory, psychology, consensus models, miner strategies
- USER EXPERIENCE: market and user segmentation, generational demographics, consumerization of healthcare, behavioral considerations, user centered design, adoption drivers and barriers, Return-on-Adoption
- HEALTH IT: Electronic Health Records, Health Information Exchange, claim adjudication, clinical trials, provenance, supply chain, ePedigree, medical devices, Internet of Things (IoT), wearables, sensors, smart medical home
- LEGAL & REGULATORY: health and wellness consumer protection, health and wellness Tokenomics trading, fraud, liability, indemnification
- TECHNOLOGY: On-Chain – Off-Chain solution architecture, DApps, identity management, consensus protocols, smart contracts, security, cryptography, tokens, interoperability, standards, scalability, business continuity
- EDUCATION: the fundamentals, innovation management, managing digital transformation, future workforce
Authors can include relevant software code and data in the peer review process by uploading it to BHTY’s Code Ocean computational reproducibility workflow; and strengthen the validity, attribution, and trust-based reputation of their work with BHTY’s ARTiFACTS.ai service option, a purpose built blockchain-enabled platform for academic and scientific research and development.
BHTY Submission Categories
Authors around the globe are invited to submit original papers (meaning have not been previously published or have not appeared in print or online prior to submission to BHTY), under the categories below. There are no word counts or limitations. BHTY wants you to contribute and share your research, innovation, and voice, in as many words as you need to communicate effectively.
- Proof of Concept
- Use Cases, Pilots
- Production, Deployment
- Original Clinical Research
- Original Market Research
- Narrative/Systematic Reviews/Meta-Analysis
- Opinions, Perspectives, and Commentary on a current trend or issue impacting the sector
- Training and Tool Kits
BHTY is published on a continuous basis to reflect a dynamic marketplace. Continuous publishing means articles are published as they are accepted, or, on a rolling basis, to ensure accurate reflection of developments, trends, and the most current knowledge available, while providing a forum for developing shared work and consensus.
All BHTY articles and content are FREE.
Peer Review Turn-around
A world-class peer-review board endeavors to offer rapid, peer-review (14 days), and includes constructive commentary to strengthen work. Note: Authors are given up to three weeks to make changes/revisions to a paper once peer reviewed. Authors are required to send a letter explaining why revisions may take longer to resubmit, to the managing editor.
Article Production Time
If your paper is accepted, it typically takes up to two weeks to approve and finalize galley proofs, stylistic changes, and minor edits before uploading the article site for live publication.
BHTY's audience includes blockchain executives, researchers, and innovators in healthcare and academia including experts and leadership at hospitals, payer organizations, informatics, biopharma, public health, population health, government, healthcare insurance, CROs, not for profit organizations, consultants, financial advisors across the globe, and all those with an interest in the latest knowledge on blockchain technology, implementation, and advances on the horizon in healthcare and life sciences – interested in transforming and dramatically increasing the quality of healthcare and access around the globe.
Authorship and related information
Manuscripts are exclusively submitted to BHTY, with the understanding they have not been published elsewhere, in any form, and will not be submitted elsewhere, unless declined by BHTY.
If a manuscripts was submitted to another journal and declined, the author should disclose why and what attempts have been made to revise the manuscript for resubmission. Authors are responsible for all statements made in the article and references cited.
BHTY endeavors to follow, the ICMJE recommendations for scholarly work in medical journals, as it aspires to adhere to the highest standards of scholarly publication practices. Details may be obtained here. BHTY requires these guidelines and recommendations are met for authors submitting papers to BHTY for review and publication.
Below you will find the "Role of Authors and Contributors" as outlined by ICMJE. Should you wish for a more detailed explanation, please click here. All authors must meet all four criteria below.
- Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
- Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
- Final approval of the version to be published; AND
- Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Contributors who do not meet the criteria above can be listed in the Acknowledgments section of your manuscript. See the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) guidelines for "Non-Author Contributors" here." Obtaining funding, collecting of data, or overall supervision of a research group does not qualify authorship.
Criteria for Publication
Your manuscript submission should represent the following:
- Originality and practicality in the global advancement of blockchain and intersecting technologies in healthcare
- Importance to research, practice, or changes in the field
- Interest and relevance for the BHTYaudience and those with an interest in blockchain technology and innovations in healthcare
- Rigorous methodology, with conclusions justified by the evidence presented
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards
Fees and Publishing Model
BHTY’s Article Processing Charge (APC) is $850.00 US, for original research articles, only. No other fees are charged. Article Processing Charges (APC) cover the expenses such as journal production and publication proofs, hosting software, and archiving fees.
In addition, there is no charge for students currently enrolled at an academic institution.
What does the article-processing charge (APC) cover?
BHTY is an open access (OA) journal providing unrestricted, immediate online access to peer-reviewed scholarly research. Costs are involved in every stage of the publication process, including software, hosting, peer review, copy editing, archiving on dedicated servers etc. Therefore, we ask authors to pay an APC if their research article is accepted for publication. Once published, authors can immediately post their PDF article on non-commercial web sites, institutional repositories, or other free public servers.
The APC may also be covered in research grants. If your institution has Open Access Funds available, it may cover BHTY’s APC, or reimburse you after paying it.
The BHTY revenue model consists primarily of commercial support and related initiatives conducted under the auspices of the journal, conferences, and innovation competition.
BHTY has a waiver policy for authors who cannot pay. We want to encourage open exchange in an evolving market and give fair consideration to all submissions, and believe this should not be linked to the ability to pay.
Where limited funding is available to authors, BHTY can provide a complete or partial waiver to authors on request, AFTER, an article is accepted. We review papers based strictly on MERIT. The quality and contribution it makes to the sector supersedes the APC. We believe this is paramount for fair and open exchange.
Requests for waivers will be considered using the following criteria:
- Whether there was external funding for the research for any of the authors
- Whether the authors can access other funding outlets
There are no refunds for Open Access articles once published.
There is no fee for opinions, perspectives and feature (non research) articles published, although they too, undergo peer review.
Authors contributing to BHTY agree to publish their articles under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial 4.0 International License that allows reuse, subject only to the use being non-commercial, and to the article being fully attributed. BHTY makes all open access articles freely available from the date of publication on BHTY. Open access enables the free publication to everyone, of research, sharing of information, and reuse with minimal restrictions, and are identified by the Creative Commons copyright statement that appears at the end of articles published.
BHTY editors are not paid a fixed salary. Editors, editorial board members, and peer reviewers are required to declare all relevant financial and competing interests which are published here. Reviewers do not participate in the submission process should they have a competing interest.
Likewise, authors are required to disclose financial support from the industry or other conflicts of interest that might bias the interpretation of results. All submitted manuscripts include a ‘Conflict of Interests’ section listing all competing interests (financial and non-financial).
Open access policy
BHTY publishes articles under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC BY-NC 4.0) license, that allows non-commercial reuse, and fully attribution from the date of publication. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0.
Journalists, PIOs and bloggers must credit BHTY as Source when quoting articles, and provide a link to the journal and/or the original article with the DOI number cited.
Open access articles are owned by the author and can be identified by the Creative Commons copyright statement that appears at the end of the article.
The content of accepted articles cannot appear in print, on media outlets, or electronic form (including blogs and discussion groups), prior to publication on the BHTY website. Abstracts of work may be presented at scientific conferences.